Monday, February 16, 2009

Winter Comfort Food ~

Winter always inspires me to make those wonderful homemade soups and chili's so I made this one for our Valentine lunch along with grilled cheese sandwiches. ( and of course we had the cupcakes for dessert) I never thought I would like White Chicken Chili, but after having it at a bistro in a neighboring town I had to come home and find a recipe. I found this one online and it is very close to what I had at the bistro. I was a little apprehensive at first....oregano in chicken chili...didn't think that sounded too good, but I followed the recipe exactly and it was just wonderful! Be warned that it does have a little kick from the cayenne pepper , but we love it! I did use mild chilies and I also precooked the chicken in a crockpot the day before. Wonderful comfort food!
White Chicken Chili

SERVES 5

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium onion
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great dry northern white beans, rinsed and drained (I used Bushes Best Navy Beans)
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies

In large saucepan, saute chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil til chicken is no longer pink. Add beans, chilies and seasonings and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. . Reduce heat and simmer (uncovered) for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in sour cream and whipping cream. Serve immediately.
ENJOY ~

4 comments:

The Teacup Cottage said...

OMG! That sounds so yummy! I'll have to add it to my soup list! Thanks for the recipe.

Betty said...

It sounds good. I'm going to give it a try. It could never be too spicy for us!

Loving Her Beautiful said...

Hi, Sandi,
Thanks for your comments on my last two blog posts. I'm so glad you've enjoyed them.
Your winter foods look scrumptious! Thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
BILL

Betty said...

I made the White Chicken Chili the other night and it was very good. I panicked when I discovered I only had half a cup of sour cream, but it still turned out very well. I used hot chilies...we love spicy food. I posted a picture on my blog. Thanks.